- I am less anxious and more brave. Facing the power of the ocean, and standing up on water makes me feel as if I can do anything. I took my first airplane ride last fall and loved it. I think surfing helped.
- I am more invested in my workouts and fitness. Getting fit for surfing is both motivation and goal.
- I don't care about being skinny; I want to be strong.
- I am more patient. The experience of being in the line-up, waiting for a wave has taught me to relax a little when waiting for other things.
- I have become more passionate about protecting the environment, and especially the oceans.
- I've become very interested in the weather. Weather = Waves!
- I'm more relaxed about storms, since now I know that there may a swell as a reward.
- I've completely lost interest in fashion magazines.
- I don't care as much about fashion and makeup. Sure, I want to look put together for work, but it's not a huge priority anymore.
- I've become a very boring conversationalist. I can find a way to work surfing into just about any conversation!
Monday, February 20, 2017
How Surfing Has Changed Me
Surfing is transformative. It is so hard to describe to a non-surfer what is so magical about the experience of gliding over the water. I've found that I have changed since I began surfing, sometimes in ways I never expected.