Monday, August 21, 2023

Sharing Stoke

 I had a great time in the water last Thursday, and I didn't even surf!  I spent some time volunteering with Equip for Living's Equip for Surfing event- providing adaptive surfing experiences.  

I was paired up with a surf instructor from the local shop, and we worked with participants who did not have mobility limitations.  It was such a great time helping people have fun in the ocean.  There is so much to be said for adaptive and therapeutic surfing- it can create new neural paths that can help with depression, anxiety, PTSD and addiction.  It's great exercise, but also an exercise in mindfulness. It releases endorphins and creates a sense of accomplishment. It exposes one to the beauty, joy, and benefits of the ocean, and it's just darn fun! 


I am looking for all the opportunities I can find to volunteer for programs like this, it was such a great time, and everyone had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment